SEPTFONTAINES is located at the entrance of the "Valley of the Seven Castles.
Septfontaines "is a "French-ization" of the German word SIMMERN (sometimes written
as SIEBENBORN), The village is in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg, and is situated
about 7 Km due North of the Arlon-Luxembourg highway in the extensive woods at the
Heart of the Eisch Valley, The village has about 500 inhabitants and is dominated by
a medieval castle. The fortress was originally built in the 11th century, and is now
privately owned. The village church was built in the Gothic style of architecture.
Septfontaines takes its name from the seven springs which meet at the fountain in
the village center. The Iron foundries of Septfontaines were founded about 1624
The arms for Septfontaines were granted on October 4, 1983. The arms are based on
the arms of the Lords of Septfontaines, who used the anchored cross as their arms. To
distinguish the arms of the municipality, a tower was added. This tower symbolizes the
local castle, which dominates the village.
Literature : Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial
communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.